When you get a divorce, you go through a number of steps to dissolve the marriage. One of these steps is ensuring the long-term wellbeing of the child you both share. To do this, a court calculates the amount of California child support owed by each parent based on a variety of guidelines including income levels, tax deductions, payroll deductions, and more.

The amount the judge determines to be sufficient to provide your child with a happy and healthy life is then ordered, and you expect regular payments as agreed upon in court. When those payments do not arrive as you anticipated—and as the court ordered—you are understandably frustrated. You want to know your next options. After all, you rely on the child support in San Francisco to provide for your child.

If you have an ex-spouse who has stopped paying his fair share in child support, here are a few of the consequences he may face:

  • Apprehension of tax refunds
  • Garnishment of wages
  • Liens placed on real estate or bank accounts
  • Suspension of driver’s license

There is only one way to modify the amount owed in child support and that is through the court. If your ex-spouse has a legitimate reason no longer to be able to pay the amount owed, such as an involuntary job loss, he is required to request a modification through the court. Likewise, moving across state lines does not affect his responsibility to pay the amount ordered by the court.

If you are faced with a situation where your ex-spouse has failed to pay their full fair share of child support, you do not have to go it alone. Contact our San Francisco child support attorney at 866-414-4091 today for help fighting back and getting the money you need to provide for your child.

Paul Nathan
Connect with me
Marin County California Divorce, Child Support and Custody Lawyer Representing Women Exclusively