Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 415-635-0411
The Law Offices of Paul H. Nathan

I’ve been married for the past two years. My husband earns the money in our household. While married I came down with a serious bacterial infection. As a result, I will not be able to return to work for three years per my doctor’s orders. Recently, my husband just left me for a younger woman and doesn’t want to pay any support. Do I have a right to spousal support?


Yes, given the facts presented, it appears you are entitled to spousal support a.k.a. alimony. A married person has a duty to provide support to their spouse. The Court will look at you and your husband’s ability to provide for your own needs. If you cannot provide for your own living needs the Court will likely order your husband to provide you with support for a period of time to allow you to recover from your health matter and allow you to start earning income of your own.

Make sure you have an attorney you are confident can argue to the Court that you are entitled spousal support.

Paul Nathan
Connect with me
San Francisco Divorce & Custody Lawyer Representing Women Exclusively