Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: 415-635-0411
The Law Offices of Paul H. Nathan

How do I change my last name after a divorce in California?


Many women change their name after divorce. Below are steps on how to successfully change your name after California divorce:

  1. Complete Necessary Paperwork: You will need to complete a Petition for a Change of Name or an Ex Parte Application for Restoration of a Former Name after Entry of Judgment of Order depending on where you are in the divorce process.
  2. Pay Fees Associated with Name Change: Fees may vary by San Francisco county.
  3. Obtain Final Approval: The judge will sign the paperwork and provide a certified copy.
  4. Change Your Name:  Update legal documents, banks accounts and information with creditors and employers.

Changing your name can be an important and emotional step in the divorce process. Contact San Francisco divorce lawyer Paul Nathan at 866.414.4091 for legal advice during your divorce.