As a stay-at-home mom, you are very vulnerable in a California divorce. When you gave up your career to support your husband and family, you didn’t expect your marriage to end. But, it did—and now you are left with your financial future and your ability to make ends meet in the hands of a judge.

California spousal support can help you transition from being a stay-home-mom to being self-supporting. There are several types of spousal support options.

Support during Divorce

Judges rarely expect a woman to find a job during divorce proceedings. If you aren’t working, the judge will probably order temporary spousal support until the divorce is final. Your husband must continue paying the mortgage and other bills so the marital property remains intact, and he may be ordered to pay an additional sum so you can buy groceries and pay necessary expenses.

Support after Divorce

Financial support after a divorce is not a right and is calculated based on a number of factors. You are more likely to be awarded spousal support if you lack skills and have been unemployed for a significant period of time. There are two main types of spousal support agreements in California:

Rehabilitative Spousal Support

Rehabilitative spousal support is a support order for a fixed period of time. During that period, you are expected to get the training or education that you need to become self-supporting. In some cases, rehabilitative spousal support can be used to pay tuition and other educational expenses.

Long-Term Spousal Support

Long-term spousal support is usually reserved for older wives who have dedicated most of their adulthood to raising children and are getting divorced after a long-term marriage of 10 years or more. These women can find it especially difficult to enter the job market. Long-term spousal support usually lasts until either you remarry or until you or your ex-husband die. 

The San Francisco women-only divorce attorneys at the Law Offices of Paul H. Nathan are dedicated to helping women get a fresh start after divorce. To make an appointment, call us at 415-341-1144.

Post A Comment