What is a Gray Divorce?
I’ve written before about “gray divorces.” A “gray divorce” refers to the dissolution of a marriage between spouses who are more than 50 years old. Often, theses couples have been married for decades.
With gray divorces becoming more common, here’s a list of some high-profile couples whose divorces fit in the “gray divorce” category.
- Danny DeVito, 67, and Rhea Perlman, 64, announced their separation in October 2012. The couple had been together for 30 years.
- Al Gore, 62, and Tipper Gore, 61, announced their separation after 40 years of marriage in June 2010.
- Maria Shriver, then 55, filed for divorce from Arnold Schwarzenegger, then 63, in 2011. The couple had been together for 25 years.
- Robyn Moore, then 52, filed for divorce from Mel Gibson, then 53, in April 2009. The couple had been married for almost 30 years.
- Morgan Freeman, then 71, and Myrna Colley-Lee split in July 2008 after 24 years of marriage.
Gray divorces often come as a surprise to many people. Outsiders, of course, are often surprised by a seemingly happy couple’s split, especially a couple that has already weathered many storms. But even the adult children or the other partner may be taken off guard by a gray divorce.
If you would like to discuss a California divorce matter, call The Law Offices of Paul Nathan at 415-341-1144 or fill out our online contact form. Mr. Nathan is an experienced attorney who represents women in family law matters in Marin County.